|“||Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen.||„|
|~ Emperor Palpatine's most famous quote.|
|“||Long have I waited... for my grandchild to come home. I never wanted you dead, I wanted you here... Empress Palpatine. You will take the throne. It is your birthright to rule here... it is in your blood... our blood.||„|
|~ Palpatine reveals his new goals to his granddaughter Rey.|
|“||Use your aggressive feelings, boy! Let the hate flow through you!||„|
|~ Palpatine to Luke.|
Emperor Sheev Palpatine, also known as Darth Sidious, is the main antagonist of the Star Wars franchise. He is the immensely powerful Dark Lord of the Sith order and later the ruler of the Galactic Empire. He is responsible for destroying the Jedi Order, orchestrating the Clone Wars and turning Anakin Skywalker to the Dark Side. He is the master of Darth Vader, the archenemy to Yoda, and the grandfather of Rey.
He was the main antagonist of the Skywalker Saga: being the main antagonist of Phantom Menace, and Revenge of the Sith, Return of the Jedi, and the Rise of Skywalker, he was also the overarching antagonist of A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Attack of the Clones, Star Wars: Clones Wars and it's 2008-2020 show of the same name, Star Wars: Rebels, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, and Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order.
He was portrayed by Ian McDiarmid in the films and by Clive Revill and the late Marjorie Eaton in the original version of The Empire Strikes Back. In The Clone Wars he was voiced by the late Ian Abercrombie and then Tim Curry.
Palpatine is reviled as the embodiment of evil in the Star Wars universe, being born as a power-hungry psychopath. Palpatine is cruel, irredeemable, extremely sadistic, egotistical, and a megalomaniacal dictator who seek to become immortal and rule the whole universe as an unstoppable god. He is also manipulative and incredibly intelligent, having played everyone during the Clone Wars as if they were mere pawns in a chess game. Having to play both sides in the Clone Wars, using his charismatic charm to convince the Galactic Republic to establish the Galactic Empire, fooling the Jedis to make them believe to be a benevolent senator, and even succeeding in almost eradicating the Jedi Order to take control of the galaxy. He is also very paranoid as he would raze cities or kill off populations because he believes some might conspire against him.
This section is too long. Visit here for more details: Emperor Palpatine's Synopsis on the Villains Wiki.
What Makes Him Pure Evil?
- Killed two people by running over them in his car.
- Murdered his entire family.
- Killed Darth Plagueis in cold blood once he finds him unnecessary to his plans.
- Adopts Darth Maul and mercilessly tortures and abuses him into becoming his ruthless apprentice.
- He orchestrated a galactic level war in order to take control of the galaxy, which resulted in countless deaths, including many Jedi.
- Uses Anakin's fear of Padme's death in order to corrupt him to the dark side, some which succeeded.
- Hires Cad Bane to kidnap sensitive infants by force for him to conduct illegal fatal experiments on them.
- Forces his new apprentice, Count Dooku, to kill his apprentice out of paranoia that she was growing to powerful.
- Murders Darth Maul's brother right in front of him while taunting Maul, after which he sadistically tortures Maul.
- Once Fives, a Clone Soldier, learns of Order 66, Sidious/Palpatine drugs him to the point of insanity and has him murdered in order to keep Order 66 a secret.
- Orders Anakin to kill Count Dooku once his role was finished. Later, he has all of his Separatist leaders butchered after he had taken control of the Senate.
- Later, he has almost all the Jedis killed through Order 66, with the young Jedi children included.
- Uses planet-destroying weapons such as the Death Star to spread fear in the Galaxy. Having multiple cities and population razed or killed off out of paranoia that they might conspire against him.
- Attempts to have Luke kill his own father in order to seduce him to the Dark Side. When Luke refused too, Palpatine attempts to sadistically and brutally kill him by using Force lightning.
- Orchestrates most of the events that happened in the Sequel trilogy, being behind the First Order and Supreme Leader Snoke. Creates Final Order to reclaim his rule over the galaxy by having them destroy any planet that refuses to bow before him.
- Kills his own son and his daughter-in-law once they refused to hand Rey over to him.
- Succeeds in destroying the Skywalker bloodline.
- One of the reasons for which Emperor Palpatine is commonly regarded as Pure Evil is because his actor, Ian McDiarmid, once stated that Palpatine is far worse than Satan. Prior to playing the Emperor, McDiarmid played Lucifer in a stage version of John Milton's Paradise Lost, and he noted that ironically, Lucifer (as depicted in the play) was more sympathetic and had more redeeming qualities than Palpatine. As the lack of a moral agency prevents Satan from qualifying as Pure Evil, it's possible that Palpatine is more evil.